At Atlantic Grown Organics we are always looking for great people to join our Schurman Family team. Please see below for current openings but if there are no openings that suit your qualifications, please still connect with us so that we can have your information on file should something open up that’s right for you!
Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
Atlantic Grown Organics is an innovative and sustainability focused company with our organic roots in Spring Valley, Prince Edward Island (map link) . As a family farm and first-generation greenhouse operation we are looking for a Head Grower to join our team at our high technology organic greenhouse. As Head Grower you will be responsible for managing from “seed to shipping” all aspects of a diverse greenhouse operation with all typical greenhouse vegetable crops and some specialties. Supported by a team of capable growers, managers and the most modern technology and systems you will report directly to the CEO and owner.
- You will train, supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers and the incentive program using Ridder Productive with goals focused to increase labour efficiency.
- You will determine the quantities of necessary resources (workforce, raw materials etc.) and ensure timely and efficient procurement and adherence to budgets.
- You will plan and supervise maintenance work and troubleshoot equipment issues.
- You will ensure the quality, food safety and organic integrity of our produce and worker safety.
- Monitor and optimize the crops using our Argus climate computer and LetsGrow.com platform to ensure efficient growth, quality harvest and maximize goals.
- Monitor and control pests, using IPM biologicals and pesticides.
- Prevent and resolve greenhouse, production and quality issues, prepare and submit reports to the CEO.
- You will need a Pesticide Applicators License within 1 year of employment.
- You will need 5 to 10 years experience with responsibilities as a grower manager in production agriculture with 3+ years high technology greenhouse experience strongly preferred.
- A deep understanding of plant growth, plant physiology and the interaction of plants with different environmental conditions is essential.
- You must have hands on grower experience and be a team player. Experience with tomato and cucumber production will be well regarded.
- You have experience with GlobalGAP or similar certification schemes and ideally organic principles and regulations.
- You have a strong problem-solving attitude and proven ability to overcome challenges and achieve goals.
- You demonstrate excellent organizational and time management skills with a process improvement mindset.
- You exhibit leadership and experience managing teams to produce their best and resolve conflicts.
- The ideal candidate will have good communication skills in Spanish and English (both written and verbal).
- You will have a history of personal initiative, attention to detail, high speed and efficiency.
- Shown capability to maintain, troubleshoot and direct repairs of all greenhouse machinery and equipment to a high standard to reduce our running costs and down time.
Spring Valley, Prince Edward Island, Canada is an island on Canada’s east coast known for its agricultural production, beautiful landscapes, tourism, and strong community connections. Here you can expect Canadian standards of schooling and health care with lower costs of living than most Canadian centers. Depending on your situation we have on farm housing of there are the nearby towns of Kensington and Summerside where apartments and houses can be secured. For more information about our greenhouse facility, please watch this intro video.
This position offers a salary range depending on experience, of CDN$70,000 – $110,000 annually including incentives and bonus for achieving goals. If you currently are not a resident of Canada or do not have permission to work in Canada, we will help you with the immigration process. Normally we start with securing you a 2 year work permit (2-4 month process) and when you are settled in Canada we can start you into the express entry program by which could get Canadian residency in approximately 1-2 years.
En Atlantic Grown Organics siempre estamos buscando personas para unirse a nuestro equipo de la familia Schurman. Consulte a continuación las vacantes actuales, pero si no hay vacantes que se adapten a sus calificaciones, comuníquese con nosotros para que podamos tener su información archivada en caso de que se abra algo que sea adecuado para usted.