At Atlantic Grown Organics we are always looking for great people to join our Schurman Family team. Please see below for current openings but if there are no openings that suit your qualifications, please still connect with us so that we can have your information on file should something open up that’s right for you!
Atlantic Grown Organics is a 4-acre year round vegetable production greenhouse and the largest organic greenhouse in Atlantic Canada growing for large and small retailers across the Maritimes and beyond. We are currently seeking an Operations Manager to join our Greenhouse team working closely with the owner / CEO to help drive forward the vision to become first in class in our market.
This is a very broad role that is primarily focused on solving all aspects of business problems and pushing to improve business efficiency, resilience and ultimately longevity and profitability. The “fit” of the successful candidate will be of utmost importance with a person that has awareness of their own and the teams strengths and weaknesses and be able to manage those abilities effectively. Building trust with the team and CEO will be key to success.
The main success factor of any business is the functionality of the team. This position will work closely with the other managers and leaders of various cultures and languages to make sure all are aligned towards the goals by championing metrics and KPI’s and the achievement of those objectives by rooting out challenges and leading and coaching change for improvement and reporting of those results to the CEO and team.
This position will also be tasked with making recommendations on improvements for business sustainability and effectiveness and monitoring industry trends to identify opportunities for growth and improvement.
Some of the specific responsibilities of the position include managing;
- Develop and lead the transition of our Operations Manual into a fully integrated training application for onboarding, training, process docs, SOPs
- Various compliance programs including Canada GAP (food safety), organic certification, WHS, foreign worker programs, Health Canada, CRA and others
- Sales management from inventory and the logistics and from forecast to production to end user (itrade platform)
- Supplies inventory, purchase management forecasting and budgeting
- Lead incentive recognition program for staff using “Ridder Productive” system
- Assess the day-to-day operations to ensure timely, synergistic and efficient workflow
- Search out and obtain various funding opportunities for key initiatives
- Perform reviews of project results together with greenhouse managers by determining variances between expected and actual project results
- HR coaching, resource management, compliance, and team building
- Audit all business operations and functions for quality and control weaknesses. Communicate and address variances, quality issues and concerns with relevant departments to help identify the causes and implement sustainable corrective actions
- Marketing, community engagement and communications
Optimum Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or related field
- 5+ years operations management experience or other senior leadership role
- Experience in produce, agriculture (and greenhouse) is seen as an asset
- Strong ability to multitask
- Established analytical, time management, and organizational skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and in a team
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Strong business acumen, with a deep understanding of financial management, operations, and strategy
- Excellent leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate teams
- Experience coaching and educating project teams to strengthen team members’ capabilities and skill sets
- Must be able to work with a sense of urgency and pivot without losing track of many ongoing projects – Large and small
- Hours of work may vary depending on business needs; role can give and requires flexibility
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; bend; twist; use hands to handle or feel product or packaging; and reach with hands and arms; specific vision capabilities required
- Role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Specific vision capabilities required; employee is to work in front of a computer, sitting or standing for periods of time
- The position involves walking and lifting, regularly, up to 30-pounds, occasionally up to 50-pounds
Job Types: Full-time or Fractional, Permanent
Salary: $60,000.00-$85,000.00 per year
Apply by sending your CV and cover letter detailing your achievements to: